[Mailman-Users] Mail list statistics

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Feb 7 18:33:36 CET 2014

On Fri, Feb 07, 2014 at 05:23:22PM +0000, Alain Williams wrote:
> I sometimes get asked how many messages are sent out to a mail list.
>
> So I wrote a script to tell me. This works under ksh or bash.
>
> The script is attached and I am happy for this to become part of mailman or put
> into an associated library.
>
> You need to run it in the list's archive directory.

Drat, this list does not allow attachments, so here it is in line:

# Show how much email sent through a mailman mail list
# Copyright (c) Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk> January 2009
# This program is free software and is licenced under the GPL: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

# This should be run in a directory like:
#	/var/spool/mailman/bray/archives/private/chat
# Note that this needs write access to the directory since it creates a temporary
# directory.

echo "Columns: month number-of-messages total-message-size"
Months="January February March April May June July August September October November December"
FilesTot=0

# Work out starting year, look for something like: 2004-December
startYear=$( ls | perl -wlne '$year = $1 if(/^(\d\d\d\d)-/ and ( !defined($year) or $1 < $year)); END {print $year }' )
endYear=$( date '+%Y' )

for year in $( seq $startYear $endYear  )
do	echo "Year $year"
	YearTot=0
	for month in $Months
	do
		[[ ! -d $year-$month ]] && printf "$year $month\tnone\n" && continue
		cd $year-$month || exit
		mkdir x || exit
		ln [0-9]* x
		cd x || exit
		files=$( ls -f | wc -l )
		(( FilesTot += files ))
		((  YearTot += files ))
		printf "$year $month\t$files\t$( du -h | cut -f 1 )\n"
		cd .. || exit
		rm -rf x
		cd .. || exit
	done