[Mailman-Users] Apache 2.4 and Mailman

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Dec 5 20:07:10 CET 2014

On 12/04/2014 10:40 PM, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> This is a relatively minor thing, but perhaps it should be mentioned in
> the Install docs on
> http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-install/node10.html
>
> Recent Ubuntu server installs of Apache 2.4 need "Require all granted"
> in place of, or in addition to "Allow from all" to grant access to a
> portion of the filesystem.  So somewhere in the conf files for Apache2
> is needed something like:
>
> <Directory "/var/lib/mailman/archives/public/">
>         Options FollowSymLinks .... etc.
>         Require all granted
>         ...... etc.
> </Directory>

I'm not sure that this should be on that page. That page is intended to
be fairly generic and even though some of the given examples are Apache
directives, it is intended to be a guide for all web servers. Thus,
something specific to some versions of a particular web server, albeit a
very popular one, may not be appropriate.

I'll consider adding something more generic about allowing access.

Also note, I think that Require all granted is also required on the
ScriptAlias directory, at least I have it in my config.

> I went to the Launchpad bug database for Mailman and it looks like it's
> ages out of date, so I thought I'd pass this on here, and y'all can run
> with it to the developers list or wherever.

The Launchpad tracker is the place.

Note that the first bug listed at
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bugs?orderby=-id&start=0> is
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/1397170> which was reported and