[Mailman-Users] Apache 2.4 and Mailman

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Fri Dec 5 07:40:52 CET 2014

This is a relatively minor thing, but perhaps it should be mentioned in
the Install docs on
http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-install/node10.html

Recent Ubuntu server installs of Apache 2.4 need "Require all granted"
in place of, or in addition to "Allow from all" to grant access to a
portion of the filesystem.  So somewhere in the conf files for Apache2
is needed something like:

<Directory "/var/lib/mailman/archives/public/">
        Options FollowSymLinks .... etc.
        Require all granted
        ...... etc.
</Directory>

I see that this has been mentioned in discussions on the list, but it
ought to be included in the online install docs.  This seems to be in
line with a policy of hardening Apache2 server security, and I'd tripped
on this before in other places in the web server setup, so I guessed the
proper solution fairly quickly.  Someone with less experience might
spend a lot more time troubleshooting this, and a note in the
documentation might help.  Keeping up with the times is good :)

I went to the Launchpad bug database for Mailman and it looks like it's
ages out of date, so I thought I'd pass this on here, and y'all can run
with it to the developers list or wherever.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works if you let it"
FMP Computer Services |