[Mailman-Users] 'Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender' error when using an e-mail from a domain co-hosted with the one used for Mailman lists

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Apr 24 07:01:16 CEST 2014

On 04/21/2014 04:50 AM, Jacques Setton wrote:

> All mailman lists functions & features work well on the later system except
> in one specific case. When I try to subscribe to a list (say ‘Mailman’)
> using an e-mail address based on a virtual domain (say ‘domain.net’) which
> is co-hosted with the default virtual domain used for Mailman lists (say
> ‘domain.org’), I immediately get an “Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender”
> error as depicted below :

Is the problem perhaps that the address in the confirmation should be
mailman-request at domain.net instead of mailman-request at domain.org?.

If so, see the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/mIA9>.

Or maybe just set the host_name attribute on the list's General Options
page to domain.net.

> Attached error file details
>
> Reporting-MTA: dns; vps12345.ovh.net

Post the results of grepping your maillog for 9F72D11C00A

> Arrival-Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 08:00:16 +0200 (CEST)
>
> Final-Recipient: rfc822; mailman-request at domain.org

> Action: failed      Status: 5.1.1
>
> Diagnostic-Code: x-unix; user unknown

> is the response received in return, indicating that the mailman specified
> address was unknown. The attached error report follow thereafter.
>

> The collocated virtual domains labeled ‘domain.org’ and ‘domain.net’ are
> hosted on the same physical server ‘vps12345 at ovh.net’, sharing a common IP
> address.
>

> Would such behavior be related to a bad or incomplete definition of the
> ‘mydestination’ / ‘myorigin’  parameters in the Postfix ‘main.cf’ file ?

Probably not. It depends on how postfix is delivering to Mailman. Are
you using aliases and virtual alias maps or some alternate transport?

> Here is an excerpt of the related values produced by the  ‘postconf –n’
> command line :

What's the rest of postconf -n?

See <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/postfix-integration.html> and
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/postfix-virtual.html>.

Have you configured Postfix this way or some other way?