[Mailman-Users] Seeing your own sig appear in (someone else's) email to the list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Apr 19 00:27:42 CEST 2014

On 04/17/2014 07:40 PM, Conrad G T Yoder wrote:
> One of my users on one of my lists is seeing something odd.  His own signatures are appearing on other people’s emails sent to a Mailman (2.1.14) list.  Some points of info:
>
> - He has his own domain, hosted by google
> - Email is read on the web (not sure which browser)
> - It appears on some, but not all list posts
> - Started happening “about a week ago”
> - I do not see his signatures when the same emails come to me, nor are they in the archive.
> - He is a list admin and moderator.  The list is fully moderated and he approves/rejects most of the posts.
>
> Is he crazy?  Any idea how to track this “problem” down?

The first thing that comes to mind is he sees this in posts which are
direct Cc replies to his own posts from some user(s). Thus, what he is
seeing isn't the list post, and something in the poster to list path is
stripping signatures so other list members and the archive don't see it.
(Perhaps the sig is in a MIME part removed by the list's content filtering.)

You need to get a complete, raw message from him with the spurious sig,
all headers, etc. If he uses the gmail/googlemail web client, he can
click the down triangle 'more' button just right of the swooping arrow
'reply' button, click 'Show original' and copy/paste the result. This
will tell you whether the message even came to him via the list and
where in the message parts his sig appears.