[Mailman-Users] Upgrade 2.1.14 to 2.1.17 on Ubuntu Question

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Apr 17 16:16:32 CEST 2014

On 04/17/2014 06:23 AM, Richard Shetron wrote:
> I've searched the list and found enough related posts that this looks
> like it should be simple just reinstall, hopefully with the original
> PREFIX settings and probably diff the old and new mm_cfg.py files just
> to catch all the changes/new features/etc.

An upgrade never changes an existing mm_cfg.py. To see changes, diff the
old and new Defaults.py files and/or read the NEWS file.

> I have visual problems so my eyes often go fuzzy if I do too much
> computer work at one time.

I feel your pain.

> However I find there may be a complication from a problem made from the
> initial install of 2.1.14.
>
> The initial install was done as user mailman, group mailman.  When I
> reboot the server it seems to set mailman to user list, group list and I
> have to go an fix permissions and ownership back to mailman:mailman.

user:group list:list is from the Debian/Ubuntu Mailman package. There
seems to be some conflict on your server between this package and your
install.

> If I install 2.1.17 over 2.1.14 and use list:list for user:group will
> this fix the 'problem'?  Are there any gotchas I should be aware of?

If you installed 2.1.14 from source, I suggest configuring 2.1.17 with
exactly the same ./configure command options as you used in 2.1.14.
(Actually, if you can wait a week, I suggest 2.1.18rc1 which should be
released by then.)

> I've found that at least with the current install (not done by me) that
> fixing all the bin/checkperm problems will actually break mailman on the
> server ;)

There is a conflict between what you have installed and the
Debian/Ubuntu package. I don't know what that is, but I suggest
resolving that before proceeding.

If necessary, you can post more details about the exact issues, and we
will try to help.

> I was thinking of upgrading to MM3, but I don't see any final release
> version and no software to upgrade from 2.1.x to 3.x.

We're working on it, but it will still be a while before there is a
robust install and migration path.