[Mailman-Users] Upgrade 2.1.14 to 2.1.17 on Ubuntu Question

Richard Shetron guest2 at sgeinc.com
Thu Apr 17 15:23:05 CEST 2014

I've searched the list and found enough related posts that this looks
like it should be simple just reinstall, hopefully with the original
PREFIX settings and probably diff the old and new mm_cfg.py files just
to catch all the changes/new features/etc.

I have visual problems so my eyes often go fuzzy if I do too much
computer work at one time.

However I find there may be a complication from a problem made from the
initial install of 2.1.14.

The initial install was done as user mailman, group mailman.  When I
reboot the server it seems to set mailman to user list, group list and I
have to go an fix permissions and ownership back to mailman:mailman.

If I install 2.1.17 over 2.1.14 and use list:list for user:group will
this fix the 'problem'?  Are there any gotchas I should be aware of?
I've found that at least with the current install (not done by me) that
fixing all the bin/checkperm problems will actually break mailman on the
server ;)

If relevant we are using postfix.

I was thinking of upgrading to MM3, but I don't see any final release
version and no software to upgrade from 2.1.x to 3.x.

Thanks in advance.

Rick Shetron