[Mailman-Users] DMARC issues

Jim Popovitch jimpop at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 02:48:36 CEST 2014

On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 8:25 PM, Lindsay Haisley <fmouse at fmp.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-04-10 at 15:35 -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
>> Here's a tried and tested patch just awaiting more use:
>>
>> https://code.launchpad.net/~jimpop/mailman/dmarc-reject
>
> Jim, I note that what you reference here appears to be a complete branch
> version of Mailman.  Can you briefly outline exactly what mods you've
> made and how they deal with the DMARC problem, as well as any other
> differences between your patch and the main Mailman trunk?  Or refer me
> to a description of this within the file set.  I can read the code, but
> maybe you could save me a bit of time.

Hi Lindsey,

Launchpad is not my forte, so I'm not even sure how to push only my
modifications to LP without the upstream branch changes.  And yes,
I'll be the first to say it's a bit confusing in it's current branch.

Here's a link to review the changes between rev 1375 and 1380 (where
my additions were added).

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~jimpop/mailman/dmarc-reject/revision/1375?remember=1380

> I have only a few Mailman discussion lists at FMP, most of them pro
> bono.  After considering caving in on this and breaking the RFC
> regarding the proper use of the From header, I'm inclinded to favor
> Stephen's suggestion of bouncing messages from mail service providers
> enforcing DMARC rejection criteria.  Does you patch set do this?

Yes, specifically that.  It checks for a DMARC domain record on every
list post.  The patch allows you do define, per list, whether to
allow/disgard/reject/hold if a poster's domain has a DMARC p=reject
policy published.

-Jim P.