[Mailman-Users] unable to start Mailman

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Nov 6 02:39:58 CET 2013

On 11/05/2013 05:19 PM, c cc wrote:

> Let me clarify this: No, I can't open the old list's listinfo page, but
> I can see the list using list_lists command.

OK.

> When I did the fresh installation and created the "mailman" list before
> moving any old lists over, I was able to start mailman using: service
> mailman start.

And at that point, where was the lists/mailman/config.pck file?

>  As soon I moved any old list over to the new server, that command
> (service mailman start) no longer worked so did the web interface.

And to where did you move those losts/LISTNAME/config.pck files.

And what else did you move. My best guess is this process overwrote some
critical path or symlink.

> Is it possible that the old lists had overwritten something?

Not the lists/LISTNAME/config.pck files themselves, but something else
you did.

> "Is is still the case that '/usr/lib/mailman/bin/
> mailmanctl start' will
> successfully start mailman, but 'service mailman start' complains about
> the missing site list?"
>
> Yes

Then the service script must be running a different mailmanctl.

If this were my server, I'd 'sudo yum remove mailman', install Mailman
2.1.16 from source and move the list's config.pck files, but this could
cause SeLinux issues if you're running that.

I am happy to continue to work with you on this, but I'm shortly going
off line for about 48 hours, so I may not be responsive during that period.