[Mailman-Users] unable to start Mailman

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Nov 5 23:24:13 CET 2013

On 11/05/2013 11:14 AM, c cc wrote:

> It seems like /etc/init.d/mailman and /etc/rc.d/mailman both are runing
> /usr/lib/mailman/bin/mailmanctl, as you can you below:

Do you mean /etc/rc.d/init.d/mailman? In RedHat/CentOS, /etc/init.d/ is
a symlink to /etc/rc.d/init.d/.

> MAILMANHOME=/usr/lib/mailman
> MAILMANCTL=$MAILMANHOME/bin/mailmanctl

So are you saying that 'service mailman start', which runs the script at
/etc/rc.d/init.d/mailman, complains about the missing site list, but
'/usr/lib/mailman/bin/mailmanctl start' does not complain?

If so, there must be some file included by /etc/rc.d/init.d/mailman that
overrides one of those definitions. Either that, or the mailmanctl that
the script runs is not $MAILMANCTL.

> Here how I moved my lists over to the new server:
>
> 1. I renamed the /usr/lib/mailman to mailman.org <http://mailman.org>
> 2. ln -s /mnt/ebs/volume/mailman /var/lib/mailman
> 3 tarred up the /usr/lib/mailman/* mailman directory in the old server
> 4.then  untarred archives, data, lists, and spam folders to the
> //mnt/ebs-volume/mailman folder, which is linked to the /usr/lib/mailman
> folder.

Step 2 says /var/lib/mailman, not /usr/lib/mailman. /var/lib/mailman is
the correct path to symlink.

> ]# sudo find / -name mailman

OK

> Using the command line list_lists, it does show all the list, but the
> lists do not show up on the web interface. I apologize for the
> confusion. Once again, thanks for your help.

No lists show up on the web interface or not all lists show up on the
web interface? Are the missing lists accessible if you go to
http://HOSTNAME/mailman/listinfo/LISTNAME and
http://HOSTNAME/mailman/admin/LISTNAME. If so, see the FAQ at