[Mailman-Users] Importing old archives into Mailman

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat May 11 06:53:04 CEST 2013

Barry S. Finkel writes:

 > The ">" in front of "From " in message bodies IS REQUIRED.

Only by the archive builder.

Specifically, AFAIK you are correct, Pipermail will split an mbox to
messages on any line matching "^From ", and leave any ">From " lines
in the resulting archive.  There are two ways to improve on this.

Generic: Leave the ">" in the mbox file, and use the macro afterward
on the split HTML.  (I think this is what the cleanarch script does.)

Site-specific: use a more accurate regexp to identify the message
separator, possibly augmented by looking for an empty line before and
a RFC 822 header afterward.  Then you can clean up the mbox file.

The generic method is actually more accurate (in some contexts people
actually do post headers in message bodies :), so I recommend it.