[Mailman-Users] Importing old archives into Mailman

Larry Kuenning larry at qhpress.org
Fri May 10 22:36:49 CEST 2013

On 5/10/2013 3:18 PM, Barry S. Finkel wrote:

> The ">" in front of "From " in message bodies IS REQUIRED.

Of course it's required -- as long as the file is serving as a real
mbox.  That's why I put the ">" back in before having Mailman index the
files for the archives of the new lists.  ("Undoing that change was easy
enough" is how I put it in my first post about this.)

I had started taking out the ">" long ago when I thought the only future
use for these files would be as human-readable text files, where the ">"
would be perceived as clutter or as a mistaken attempt to indicate
quotation.  There's no law that says what was once an mbox file has to
remain an mbox file forever if nobody's going to read it except in a
notepad or word processor.  Which is what I expected at the time.

--
Larry Kuenning
larry at qhpress.org