[Mailman-Users] (no subject)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri May 10 00:23:37 CEST 2013

On 05/09/2013 01:30 PM, Christopher Adams wrote:

> At 12 noon, messages that had been sent but not delivered earlier today,
> suddenly were all sent. This sure seems like a cron (not a con) job, but I
> haven't a clue why. As far as I know the only Mailman cron job that runs at
> 12 noon is the digest generation.
>
> I am really puzzled here. This may be a Postfix/MTA issue, maybe a local
> server issue, but I am mainly curious about the batch send that occurred.
>
> Here is an entry from maillog. It shows a message being delivered to the
> alias, then removed from the queue. The message never gets to the person
> behind the alias.
>

> May  9 12:57:49 swiki postfix/smtpd[26679]: E774019985DC: client=
> nm2-vm0.bullet.mail.bf1.yahoo.com[98.139.213.127]
[...]

Does Mailman deliver directly to the remote server or via Postfix? If
directly, what does Mailman's smtp log say about the posts that were
delayed. I.e. a post to a list will have an entry like

May 09 12:53:47 2013 (6114)
<009b01ce4cee$e4c00540$ae400fc0$@xxx at example.com> smtp to LISTNAME for
237 recips, completed in 4.337 seconds

which says the the message with message-id
<009b01ce4cee$e4c00540$ae400fc0$@xxx at example.com> was delivered from the
LISTNAME list to (in this case) 237 reqular subscribers and SMTP to the
MTSA was completed at 12:53:47 (and started 4.337 seconds earlier).

I suspect they were delivered to the remote server well before and not
all at once at noon.

If Mailman delivers via Postfix, what does the maillog say about those
deliveries?