[Mailman-Users] trouble to send out emails

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jun 25 00:36:55 CEST 2013

On 06/24/2013 09:31 AM, J Gao wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need some help here. I am building a new mail server to replace our
> old one. I installed postfix, courier, MailScanner on the Centos 6.4.
> The last I installed mailman v3 and I'm having trouble to make it work.

Mailman 3 core is still in beta. Mailman 3 web UI (Postorius) is still
in alpha. You shouild probably be installing Mailman 2.1./15 or the head
of the 2.1 branch at
<https://code.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1>

> Our old email server has almost same setup, only that server is built 3
> years ago with mailman v2.

And Mailman 2.1 is a lot different from Mailman 3.

> On the new server, I setup some mail list, and transfer subscriber
> account from our old server. The I test it sending a email to the list.
> Here is the maillog onthe new server:
[...]
> I see here:
> Jun 21 16:32:53 szeta *postfix/virtual*[29352]: 7DAA4825BE:
> to=<sjv-dev at my-domain.com>, relay=virtual, delay=6.2,
> delays=6.1/0.06/0/0.08, dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (*unknown user:
> "sjv-dev at my-domain.com"*)
>
> Then I got a auto response from mailman say the deliver is failed.

>From Mailman or from Postfix?

[...]
> I'm not sure what cause the mail delivery failed. Please help.

Mailman 3 does not do delivery to a Mailman wrapper via aliases like
Mailman 2.1 does. It is designed to use LMTP to deliver from Postfix to
Mailman.

Remove Mailman 3; install Mailman 2.1.15 or later, and come back if you
still have trouble.