[Mailman-Users] Hello all - mailman down after power failure and hard shutdown

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Jun 9 01:13:14 CEST 2013

On 06/08/2013 03:10 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:

> I read them all, and I don't think it is relevant (this is the same
> kernel and same versions of postfix dovecot and mailman for some time
> now), but, I changed the default limit to 10 and reloaded postfix, with
> the same error when sending to my 'All' list (that has only 6 members,
> all lists).

How long was the system up before the crash, and during that time did
you change any dynamic configuration parameters the would have been
reverted by the crash.

> Also, as I said, lists that only have individual recipients work just
> fine, even with 30+ recipients.

So, the doesn't occur with a single message to a single list, but it
occurs when Postfix receives six messages at once FROM the lists-all
list. Also your deliveries to to=<validuser1 at media-brokers.com> et al
are via the virtual transport which is apparently unaffected.

> Also the weirdness when a list member has their vacation enabled - they
> get the original list message, but the vacation message gets stuck in
> the queue with the error.

Another case of multiple messages to be handled by the local transport.

> I'm thinking of trying to reinstalling (this is gentoo, so that will be
> easy) first mailman, then postfix... I'll probably try that tomorrow if
> no other solution presents itself.

If you reinstall Mailman without touching Postfix and that fixes this,
I'll be incredibly surprised.

All the evidence you've presented together with everything I know says
this is a Postfix issue, not a Mailman issue. If I knew Postfix as well
as I know Mailman, I could probably tell you how to fix this.