[Mailman-Users] Privacy Options Filtering

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jun 5 02:02:43 CEST 2013

On 06/04/2013 01:25 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>  > OK. This is a bug. I have entered it in the tracker at
>  > <https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/1187201> and I will fix it, but
>  > I'm not yet sure how. And the filter does continue to work for all
>  > addresses, even the bad ones.
>
> Well, is it a bug?  It seems to me that depends on whether the setting
> is REJECT (it's a bug, although only wasting the MTA's time AFAICS) or
> DISCARD (not a bug).  If it's DISCARD, surely the admin intends to
> nuke that spammer in the future, too?  I don't know if this argument
> applies to evil characters in the address but it should be true for
> invalid domains.

The bug is only that if you select "Add <invalid address> to one of
these sender filters:" Mailman will add the address to one of the
*_these_nonmembers filters and later you will be unable to edit that
filter through the web UI unless and until you remove the invalid address.

>  > That's my inclination for the fix. I.e. don't add the address to the
>  > filter and say why, but what else should or shouldn't be done. E.g.
>  > suppose this is one address out of 5 to be added from 5 posts. Do we
>  > abort the whole transaction, do everything else anyway or something in
>  > between.
>
> I would say Mailman should (1) add all the valid addresses, (2) give
> an error message specifying any addresses Mailman rejected, followed
> (3, in the same page) by a confirmation message saying which addresses
> were added.  Also, it might be useful to *prepend* the new addresses
> to the list or regexp.

I've started to implement (1) and (2). (3) may or may not be tricky, but
I'll see.