[Mailman-Users] Custom Pages

Janice Boothe nursejanice at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 3 14:06:50 CEST 2013

--- On Sun, 6/2/13, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

From: Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] Custom Pages
To: "Janice Boothe" <nursejanice at yahoo.com>
Cc: "Mailman Users" <mailman-users at python.org>
Date: Sunday, June 2, 2013, 10:55 AM

On 06/02/2013 08:23 AM, Janice Boothe wrote:

> Maybe because I am not fully aware of il8n but I fail to see how that is an issue.

:Mailman 2.1.15 supports 37 non-English translations. Mailman 2.1.16 will
:add Farsi to the list. Even assuming that switching to a template
:doesn't add or change any strings in the message catalog, any new
:template needs to be translated into 38 other languages. The users of a
:language for which the template has not been translated see a page built
:from the English template.

:Thus, switching to a new template breaks that page for those users who
:prefer one of the 38 non-English languages until the template is
:translated into their language.

You are assuming that a list owner is allowing/offering more than his native
language.  Even if he were, it is on him to code his custom pages with
the capabilities to #include the appropriate language set.  That all can
 be done with language files with the translations of any given language
for each translatable word/ phrase and parameters that call in the
specific phrase form the users chosen language.  If you have the dynamic ability to build a page based on the specific users chosen language, then you already have the capability to have custom pages do the same.

:My experience tells me that this translation will happen in timely
:fashion for at most 5 of the 38 languages leaving users of the other 33
:or more languages with a page they may not be able to read.

:This may not be an issue for you, but it is for me.

Perhaps you are adding in additinal languages that have such little use just to be able to say you offer a huge number of languages?  If there was a real use for all of the others, then someone soudl; translate.  Then again, you seem to already have the multi-languages built into the software so adding a template to the software would not be an issue.  It is on the list owner to design the pages to fit his audience.  This is not necessarily a replacement of what you have but rather an addition to which would make MM a lot better.  Have MM look for the template in the appropriate location and itf it exists use it, if not use the dynamic page that currently exists.  Heck simply adding that one IF statement to thr code would satisfy the objective.

--

Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>        The highway is for gamblers,
San Francisco Bay Area, California    better use your sense - B. Dylan