[Mailman-Users] Custom Pages

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Jun 2 19:55:41 CEST 2013

On 06/02/2013 08:23 AM, Janice Boothe wrote:

> Maybe because I am not fully aware of il8n but I fail to see how that is an issue.

Mailman 2.1.15 supports 37 non-English translations. Mailman 2.1.16 will
add Farsi to the list. Even assuming that switching to a template
doesn't add or change any strings in the message catalog, any new
template needs to be translated into 38 other languages. The users of a
language for which the template has not been translated see a page built
from the English template.

Thus, switching to a new template breaks that page for those users who
prefer one of the 38 non-English languages until the template is
translated into their language.

My experience tells me that this translation will happen in timely
fashion for at most 5 of the 38 languages leaving users of the other 33
or more languages with a page they may not be able to read.

This may not be an issue for you, but it is for me.