[Mailman-Users] Custom Pages

Janice Boothe nursejanice at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 2 17:23:36 CEST 2013

--- On Fri, 5/31/13, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

:> Yes I do mean that.  I used confirm.html since that is the naming
:> convention used to create custom pages for much of the other IO of:
:> Mailman.
:
:Some of Mailman's GUI web pages are built from templates such as
:listinfo.html, options.html and subscribe.html. Many others including
:the entire web admin interface and much of the admindb interface are not.

I understand this.  It is the basis for teh discussion!  :)

:> It seems rather odd and extremely limiting that Mailman functiuons as
:> you describe in regards to confirm.  Most of the other pages are
:> customizable (listinfo, etc), why in the world would the programmers
:> make such a choice to not allow site owners to customize the confirm
:> page?
:
:This wasn't as much of an issue when Mailman 2 was designed.

OK

:> Is this something that can be fixed in future releases as it
:> should not be very hard to do?
:
:Well, I don't know about 'hard' but it won't happen in Mailman 2.1 for
:several reasons having mostly to do with i18n considerations and the
:fact that were it to be done, I'm the one who would do it with whatever
:help I could scrounge from the community.

Maybe because I am not fully aware of il8n but I fail to see how that is an issue.  I know fo other software that uses end user selectable language sets and is highly customizable.  Also the fact that a lot of the rest of MM uses templates kind of points to the possibility that the rest ought to be able to as well.

:On the other hand, Mailman 3 is a different story. In MM 3 the core
:mailing list functions communicate with the outside via a REST API.
:Anyone is free to develop whatever web UI they want to communicate with
:the core. The web UI that will ship with MM 3 is Postorius
:<https://launchpad.net/postorius> and I think you'll find it much more
:template driven than the MM 2 UI.

I'll have to wit until the good folks at cpanel add MM3 before I can start using that.. :(

BTW thank for the work on this.  I am not trying to kick your cat here at all, merely sending in feedback on how to improve the product.