[Mailman-Users] Custom Pages

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Jun 1 00:19:30 CEST 2013

On 05/31/2013 01:26 PM, Janice Boothe wrote:
> Yes I do mean that.  I used confirm.html since that is the naming
> convention used to create custom pages for much of the other IO of
> Mailman.

Some of Mailman's GUI web pages are built from templates such as
listinfo.html, options.html and subscribe.html. Many others including
the entire web admin interface and much of the admindb interface are not.

> It seems rather odd and extremely limiting that Mailman functiuons as
> you describe in regards to confirm.  Most of the other pages are
> customizable (listinfo, etc), why in the world would the programmers
> make such a choice to not allow site owners to customize the confirm
> page?

This wasn't as much of an issue when Mailman 2 was designed.

> Is this something that can be fixed in future releases as it
> should not be very hard to do?

Well, I don't know about 'hard' but it won't happen in Mailman 2.1 for
several reasons having mostly to do with i18n considerations and the
fact that were it to be done, I'm the one who would do it with whatever
help I could scrounge from the community.

On the other hand, Mailman 3 is a different story. In MM 3 the core
mailing list functions communicate with the outside via a REST API.
Anyone is free to develop whatever web UI they want to communicate with
the core. The web UI that will ship with MM 3 is Postorius
<https://launchpad.net/postorius> and I think you'll find it much more
template driven than the MM 2 UI.