[Mailman-Users] Reactivate delivery confirmation tokens

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Fri Jul 19 17:47:47 CEST 2013

>>>>> "MS" == Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> writes:

MS> What do you do and what happens?

Mail comes in announcing that:

  Your membership in the mailing list $LISTNAME has been disabled due to
  excessive bounces

Neither replying nor surfing to the mailman/confirm/$LISTNAME/$TOKEN uri
works.

Using the uri and passwd listed after the:

  You can also visit your membership page at

line always works.

MS> Is your problem always with the same site?

No.

In my primary archive, I have 57 such mails from 33 sites over the last
34 months.  There are lots more going back another decade or so in my
burried archives.

The most recent runs 2.1.15.

MS> Are you confirming within the sites PENDING_REQUEST_LIFE (default 3 days)?

Generally w/in 12 hours of when the mail was sent.  Always w/in 24 hours.

I route mailman mail to a high-priority group to ensure that I see it
without delay.

It is only these non-interactive confirm mails which fail; sub, unsub,
and change address confirms always work.

I suspect that most of the sites install mailman via their distributions'
packaging.  Might the dists' packaging break something?

Of the last six (all in 2013), all but sf.net run debian, according to
the apache version strings.

-JimC