[Mailman-Users] Migration to a new server: recommendations for testing the new Mailman server before changing DNS records; also how to avoid lost/bounced messages during change-over?

David dave at fiteyes.com
Wed Jul 17 04:46:50 CEST 2013

see below

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 9:56 PM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> On 07/16/2013 06:39 PM, David wrote:
> >
> > Here's what the sysadmin ended up doing.
> >
> > First, he added our domain in postfix mydestination but it didn't help
> > so he did these steps:
> >
> > 1) Added our domain in relay_domains
> >
> > 2) Added the following in in master.cf <http://master.cf>
> >
> > mailman unix - n n - - pipe
> > flags=FR user=list argv=/usr/lib/mailman/bin/postfix-to-mailman.py
> > ${nexthop} ${user}
>

> I think this is the first mention of postfix-to-mailman.py in this
> thread. My advice to ensure that the list domain was in mydestination
> was based on my incorrect assumption that you were using aliases.
>
> You and your sysadmin may find the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/EYDt>
> and the post at
> <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2012-September/074017.html
> >
> which is linked therefrom to be of interest.
>
> --

Yes, this is the first mention of postfix-to-mailman.py in this thread. I
did not know what it was until I read your links.

And your assumption was *not* incorrect. We *are* using aliases!

>From the links you provided, I see this quote:

"postfix_to_mailman.py is an alternative to and is incompatible with
Mailman delivery via aliases."

So we have a problem here...

BTW, my sysadmin doesn't know Mailman.