[Mailman-Users] Upgrade for Postfix & Mailman

Barry S. Finkel bsfinkel at att.net
Fri Jan 25 21:31:02 CET 2013

On 1/25/2013 2:05 PM, Jeff Bernier wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am currently running Mailman (2.1.14) and Postfix (2.4.3) on an aging Mac
> OS X server (10.5.8). Mailman and Postfix on this system are Apple's
> implementation on their platform of course. Apple no longer supports the
> Xserve platform, and I am in need of replacing this system, and upgrading
> to newer versions of Postfix and Mailman.
>
> We use Postfix for our on campus SMTP Gateway, and Mailman for a small
> number of active lists. The traffic is light.
>
> Can anyone recommend a good replacement to this? Recommended Unix/Linux? Is
> a VM environment an option?
>
> I would like to get away from the Mac solution, and set up some flavor of
> Unix with more current versions of Postfix and Mailman. I know this is a
> very broad question, but I have a blank canvas here... just looking for a
> direction to go in.
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> <http://risd.cc/finadmin-faq>
> Jeff Bernier
> Email & Accounts Administration
> Rhode Island School of Design
> 20 Washington Place, Providence RI 02903
> 401.454.6168

I would suggest a virtual Linux machine.  I would use the
SourceForge source instead of any pre-packaged Mailman
solution.  I looked at the Debian/Ubuntu Mailman package a
number of years ago, and there were many patches that were not
documented.  At least one patch incorrectly removed a library that
may be needed.  I had to use a package, so I took the Debian/Ubuntu
package and used it to build my own package from the SourceForge source.
The only Debian/Ubuntu patch that I kept was one that placed the various
Mailman libraries in the proper directories for Debian/Ubuntu.
With only a few lists, there is no need for a real machine.  Make sure
that you allocate enough disk space for the growing list archives.

I am not sure if there are any Apple-installed patches that may be
incompatible with the SourceForge source.

--Barry Finkel