[Mailman-Users] Storing mailing list members in a separate Database

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jan 24 00:26:39 CET 2013

Kevin Nowaczyk wrote:

>I run a drupal site which contains email addresses of all my club members. Is there a way to configure mailman to use a custom query of a mysql database for the list information?

Short answer: Yes. See <https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/558093>.

Longer answer: Mailman 2.1 accesses all list member information through
a single MemberAdaptor module. This module is defined at
Mailman/MemberAdaptor.py which defines and documents all the methods
that Mailman uses to store, retrieve and change member information.
The methods in this module are designed to be overridden by those of a
specific member information module.

The overriding module that ships with Mailman is
Mailmna/OldStyleMemberships.py. That module stores member info in the
same python pickle that stores the list configuration.

There is a MySQL adaptor from Kev Green in the tracker at the above
URL. There is also a fork of this adaptor at
<http://trac.rezo.net/trac/rezo/browser/Mailman>.

Neither of these is exactly what I think you're asking for as they use
a dedicated table for the member info, but they shouldn't be difficult
to modify to suit your requirement.