[Mailman-Users] Special Characters

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Feb 2 09:57:02 CET 2013

On 2/1/2013 5:07 AM, Webmaster @ Hull CAMRA wrote:

> I've been searching FAQs and messages for references to using special
> characters but the information I found only relates to headers and footers.
> My problem is that Mailman is not recognising characters such as the British
> Pound symbol in the body of messages, so when a subscriber posts something
> with a £ symbol in it 's appearing as a question mark? Is there any way I
> can change how Mailman sees these symbols and interprets them correctly
> without having to resort to HTML which most of my subscribers would be
> clueless about?

I'm confused. At first I thought you must be talking about '?' appearing
in the list's archives, since Mailman should not be munging message
bodies other than via content filtering's removing unwanted parts in
their entirety, but your reference to HTML makes me think you're talking
about 'plain' format digests.

So, is it archives, plain format digests, both or somewhere else that
you see the problem?

If you're only concerned about plain format digests, you might try
switching to MIME as default and switching the current plain digest
subscribers. MIME digests are not something users need a clue about. It
is an MUA thing much more than a user thing, and a majority (but not all
depending on their MUA) of your users will be as happy or happier with MIME.

The alternative is to change the default character set for English to
utf-8 or iso-8859-1. The first few hits from this search
<http://www.google.com/search?q=site:mail.python.org+inurl%3Amailman-users+add_language+english>
should tell you how this is done