[Mailman-Users] virtual domain and alias_maps

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Aug 16 04:39:31 CEST 2013

Then I should say see the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/OIDD>.

> In mm_cfg.py I have:
> ('cpddomain.org.au' is not the real domain name, but it is a virtual one)
>
> At present a subscriber can send a message to the list owner, but no
> others, and the message does NOT have the expected Subject Line prefix eg
> [List name]

By addressing the owner's email or LISTNAME-owner at ... ? Either way, the
lack of a subject_prefix is normal?

> ##############################################################
> # Put YOUR site-specific configuration below, in mm_cfg.py . #
> # See Defaults.py for explanations of the values.	     #
>
> # Note - if you're looking for something that is imported from mm_cfg, but
> you
> # didn't find it above, it's probably in Defaults.py.
> #
> add_virtualhost('www.cpddomain.org.au', 'cpddomain.org.au')
> POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['cpddomain.org.au']
> MTA = 'Postfix'

Is the host_name attribute on the list's General Options page
cpddomain.org.au?

With MTA = 'Postfix' genaliases will write Mailman's data/aliases file
with 10 aliases for each list as in item 3 of the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/A4E9>. In addition, it will write
data/virtual-mailman with virtual mapping for each list whose host_name
is cpddomain.org.au. It will also invoke the commands defined in the
Defaults.py settings

POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postalias'
POSTFIX_MAP_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postmap'

to create/update data/aliases.db and data/virtual-mailman.db. If you
don't see this, it's because the data directory is not in
/usr/lib/mailman/. See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/KYCB>