[Mailman-Users] Fw: Mass Mail

Richard Shetron guest2 at sgeinc.com
Tue Apr 30 17:12:34 CEST 2013

I can't say what others do, but we carefully vet people before setting
up a list for someone.  One of my email addresses is on every list we
host so I get a copy of everything sent.  I use thunderbird and have it
filter all the mailing list traffic to a separate mailbox.  Once the
list if properly vetted I tend to ignore the list unless I get a
complaint.  I can then look at the last few sendings to see what was sent.

Occasionally a list member will have their computer compromised and emit
spam.  If necessary, the user can be blocked until their computer is fixed.

Some lists use moderators so every posting to the list must be approved.

As I have root access to all the systems involved I will occasionally do
a 'tail -f mail.log' to see how mail is flowing.  Sometimes it is too
fast to see, but you can usually tell if most of the status messages are
250 (message sent) or 4xx or 5xx.  Sometimes I'll just grep the log for
specific responses.