[Mailman-Users] Distutils is not available or is incomplete for /usr/bin/python

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Apr 6 22:14:17 CEST 2013

On 4/6/2013 8:51 AM, Paul Kleeberg wrote:

> I have a clean install of MacOSX 10.8.3 server, downloaded Xcode 4.6.1 from the App Store and installed it.  Was following the instructions on Allen's post http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2013-March/074888.html and when I went to run:

See
<http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Mac+Mailman+development+setup+guide>,
aka <http://wiki.list.org/x/NYDt>. That may help although it is aimed at
Mailman 3 this note and the stuff it refers to may be relevant.

However, the stock version of python does not work.  YOU WILL NEED TO
INSTALL PYTHON FROM ANOTHER SOURCE.  Below are several possible ways to
do this using macports, fink or homebrew.  YOU ONLY NEED TO FOLLOW ONE
SET OF INSTRUCTIONS ON THIS PAGE.  Just make sure you have a version of
python installed other than the mac default, and then make sure that it
is the one being used.