[Mailman-Users] Distutils is not available or is incomplete for /usr/bin/python

Paul Kleeberg paul at fpen.org
Sat Apr 6 17:51:49 CEST 2013

Odd how things come back again.

Searching for a solution to a problem I am having with a clean install, I found this.  Apparently this problem was solved for me almost 4 years ago for me by installing Xcode.  Now it is not.

I have a clean install of MacOSX 10.8.3 server, downloaded Xcode 4.6.1 from the App Store and installed it.  Was following the instructions on Allen's post http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2013-March/074888.html and when I went to run:

	./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mailman --with-cgi-gid=_www --with-mail-gid=_mailman

Got the message:

	***** Distutils is not available or is incomplete for /usr/bin/python

Grr…

Searching the Xcode documentation for distutils, I find:

	The Python modules included in the standard package for OS X are the following:
	•  bdist_mpkg — Builds OS X installer packages from distutils

So I assume it should be in there.  Interestingly the command found in http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users@python.org/msg56963.html produces:

	mini53:~ paul$ sudo Python -V
	sudo: Python: command not found

While

	mini53:~ paul$ sudo python -V
	Python 2.7.2

Is the problem in that my partition is case sensitive?

Suggestions as to what I should do?

Paul
--
Paul Kleeberg