[Mailman-Users] Umbrella list behavior - subject_prefix ; undesired result

Drew Tenenholz dtenenholz at rcn.com
Thu Sep 20 21:22:52 CEST 2012

All --

I hope this is a quick question about Umbrella lists in Mailman 2.1.9 (sorry about that, not my choice).

If I'm using the subject_prefix setting as follows:

umbrella list: subject_prefix="UMBRELLA>"
child list1: subject_prefix="Child1>"
child list2: subject_prefix="Child2>"

When I post to the umbrella and I am a subscriber to BOTH child lists, I see:

Subject: Child1> UMBRELLA> Test Post
Subject: Child2> UMBRELLA> Test Post

It's not really what I want to see, so I wonder if this changed in future versions of mailman?

-- Drew Tenenholz

P.S. What I hoped to see was:
Subject: UMBRELLA> Test Post

In other words, since the messsage has already been through Mailman once, I'd prefer that the subject_prefix for the child lists NOT be used at all. There are times when a post will be sent to one or the other child list alone and not the umbrella, so I would still want a subject_prefix on those messages.  If that were not true, I could just skip the subject_prefix on the child lists altogether.

P.P.S.  I have read the Wiki on methods to eliminate duplicate delivery.  I actually not interested in making that happen right now, just playing with the subject line....