[Mailman-Users] Umbrella list behavior - subject_prefix ; undesired result

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Sep 21 04:12:40 CEST 2012

 > When I post to the umbrella and I am a subscriber to BOTH child lists, I see:
 >
 > Subject: Child1> UMBRELLA> Test Post
 > Subject: Child2> UMBRELLA> Test Post
 >
 > It's not really what I want to see, so I wonder if this changed
 > in future versions of mailman?

Mark says no, but it can be addressed using a custom Handler.  The
main logic is

    def process:
        if is_a_child_list_of(list, umbrella):
            subject = subject.subst(list_tag, "")

and the handler should be inserted after the subject header is munged
(which happens in CookHeaders, IIRC) but before the message is sent.
(Sorry, I don't have time to chase down how to look up the child list
predicate or the list_tag at runtime.  Maybe somebody else knows
offhand.)

I don't think it's a good idea to try to address the duplicates issue
on the Mailman side.  The messages are slightly different in a way
that is important in some use cases, such as replying to one child list.