[Mailman-Users] Manipulate mailman in / out queue

Xueshan Feng sfeng at stanford.edu
Mon Oct 15 23:40:54 CEST 2012

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> Xueshan Feng <sfeng at stanford.edu> wrote:
>
> >Can you do that (drop in files, or move the files out), while the
> >service
> >is running, without crashing service or losing data.
>

> Probably yes, but don't.
>
> Either OutgoingRunner has died (check Mailman's qrunner log) or your out
> queue is backlogged.

Yes the queue was backlogged because the outgoing smtp server it uses had a
service outage. When the queue size climbed  to  a few thousands, even the
smtp service was recovered, the process of the out queue was just really
really slow going. (tail smtp log, post log).

> If there is a bad message causing issues, it is in the one out queue entry
> with a .bak extension. If the queue is backlogged, messages will be
> processing. Check Mailman's smtp log and the archives of this list.

if I want to move quite a few *.bak aside (use timestamp as an indicator of
how long they've been in  that state),  Is it necessary  to stop the
service, move files, then restart service?
We have about 37,000 lists. Sometimes when I try to restart
(/etc/init.d/mailman restart), OutgoingRunner won't go away, and had to be
killed with -9.

So I was wondering by moving files out of the queue without first stopping
mailman, caused the OutgoingRunner to suffer.

Thank you for your quick reply!

Xueshan

> --
> Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>

Xueshan Feng
Infrastructure Delivery Group, IT Services
Stanford University