[Mailman-Users] Upgrade from 2.1.14-1 to 2.1.15 - Authorization failed.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Oct 11 02:05:22 CEST 2012

On 10/10/2012 4:29 PM, Patrick wrote:

> I've tried:
[...]
> arch --wipe listname

This wouldn't help as the "Authorization failed" error occurs before any
attempt has been made to access the archive files.

> Can you please point to what .py file and section I might add some
> debug output so I might better understand what's being evaluated to
> cause a "Authorization failed" error?

In Mailman/Cgi/private.py, look for the following lines:

    if not mlist.WebAuthenticate((mm_cfg.AuthUser,
                                  mm_cfg.AuthListModerator,
                                  mm_cfg.AuthListAdmin,
                                  mm_cfg.AuthSiteAdmin),
                                 password, username):
        if cgidata.has_key('submit'):
            # This is a re-authorization attempt
            message = Bold(FontSize('+1', _('Authorization
failed.'))).Format()
            # give an HTTP 401 for authentication failure
            print 'Status: 401 Unauthorized'

and change the single line (wrapped here)

            message = Bold(FontSize('+1', _('Authorization
failed.'))).Format()

to the three lines

            message = Bold(FontSize('+1',
                _("""Authorization failed.
User = '%(username)s'; Password = '%(password)s'"""))).Format()

This will display the Email address and Password being validated. If you
think the password, and Email address if the context is for a list
member, should be valid as a list member, moderator, owner or site
admin, look at the WebAuthenticate method in Mailman/SecurityManager.py.