[Mailman-Users] Adding custom header

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Nov 7 02:49:35 CET 2012

Eric Smith wrote:

>I want to receive all mail relating to lists that I create and
>manage into my inbox. Because there are arbitrary list names and
>also numerous domains, I think that the best way is for all list
>mail to carry an identifying mail header.
>
>Having searched the archives, I understand I should
>edit the source.

Not really. There's a better way.

>I am thinking like appending a tag to an existing header like

I would not do that. List-Id: is defined by RFC 2919, and while you may
not care if your list's List-Id: header is not fully compliant, other
members of your lists might.

I would use a X- user defined header, e.g. X-MyList: for this purpose.

I would not edit CookHeaders.py, even if I were going to modify the
contents of the List-Id: header. I would create a custom handler to
add my header or modify the List-Id: header added by CookHeaders. See
the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/l4A9> for more about implementing
custom handlers and why this is the right way to do what you want.