[Mailman-Users] Ubuntu release of Mailman

Lindsay Haisley fmouse-mailman at fmp.com
Tue May 15 05:42:09 CEST 2012

On Tue, 2012-05-15 at 11:54 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> But when you do run into issues, whether a need for customization or a
> bug, it help a lot to be using something as close to upstream's
> recommended configuration as possible.  That's why many projects (not
> just Mailman) recommend building from source.
>
> (Yeah, I know you know this, Lindsay.  It's worth repeating
> occasionally, though.  "This automatically-triggered recording was
> brought to you by the FLUFL's Fluffy Support Brigade and the Mailman
> Devs." :-)

Heh!!  Yeah, the Mailman developers seem to be a very focused and
friendly bunch.  Brad Knowles is a friend of mine here in Austin, as
we're both members of Austin's Unix professional society.

There's also the fact that I've bent Mailman to my will in a couple of
departments, forcing it to deal intelligently with PHP and Namazu.  As
you point out, it's always easiest to start as far upstream as possible
when one does this sort of thing.

I've moved away from Gentoo for my servers.  It's just too much hassle
and takes too long to deal with building from source for _everything_,
so I let Canonical handle the big stuff and use Ubuntu server on my
newest server, and Linux Mint on my favorite desktop.  I'm 70 years old.
I just don't have the bandwidth, or the time, to learn everything I need
to know to keep up with all the dirty details of the ever increasing
complexity of a modern Linux installation.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "The only unchanging certainty
FMP Computer Services |    is the certainty of change"