[Mailman-Users] Ubuntu release of Mailman

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue May 15 04:54:42 CEST 2012

Lindsay Haisley writes:

 > It's probably just as easy to bypass the precompiled Ubuntu package and
 > work straight from the Mailman distribution.  If I have issues, which
 > are ususally creative problems with Python, I'd much rather work with
 > the Mailman devs than with Canonical :-)

We do like to hear we're easy to work with!

"The distros" (and that includes even Gentoo and Arch, to some degree)
do have their place, but it's not in the specialized mission-critical
components of the system.  Depending on your application, you may want
to apply that even to the kernel and libc, but most of the time
there's a long list of highly complex and widely used components
(kernel, libc, Apache, ...) that the distros do quite well enough, and
you rarely if ever run into issues (whether software bugs or admin
PEBKAC).

But when you do run into issues, whether a need for customization or a
bug, it help a lot to be using something as close to upstream's
recommended configuration as possible.  That's why many projects (not
just Mailman) recommend building from source.

(Yeah, I know you know this, Lindsay.  It's worth repeating
occasionally, though.  "This automatically-triggered recording was
brought to you by the FLUFL's Fluffy Support Brigade and the Mailman
Devs." :-)