[Mailman-Users] How do I default to HTML, not plain text emails?

David dave at fiteyes.com
Mon May 14 20:36:39 CEST 2012

There is an old discussion in this list's archives on this topic at
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2005-April/044342.html.
Unfortunately, it didn't help me.

The problem, as I understand it, is that when you change the digest
setting, it also affects the non-digest setting. The archived thread
didn't resolve or clarify this for me. We are experiencing this
problem now.

Our problem:

Set the following option to "plain". Note that this is a digest
option, not a non-digest option.

    When receiving digests, which format is default?  Plain
    (Edit mime_is_default_digest)

Then set the following option to "regular":

    Which delivery mode is the default for new users?  Regular
    (Edit digest_is_default)

Now add a new member to the list.

What happens is that the new member is set to non-digest and plain
text defaults.

If you now change "mime_is_default_digest" to MIME and add a new
member, the new member is set to non-digest and rich text defaults.

So the digest option is changing the default settings for non-digest
new members. This is both confusing and limiting.

We want digest emails sent out in "plain" format by default. But we
want the non-digest option with rich text to be the default for all
new users. There doesn't seem to be a way to achieve this. Hopefully,
there is a setting I'm overlooking.

Regards,
David