[Mailman-Users] Problem creating mailing lists via webinterface in2.1.11

Steve Matzura smtgv at noisynotes.com
Wed Mar 28 23:40:56 CEST 2012

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 16:24:07 -0500 (CDT), you wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Mar 2012, Steve Matzura wrote:
>
>> It would *never* be in my best interest not to give you all the info.
>> The problem is, I don't know exactly what info you need or want, and
>> what would be superfluous. Let's see if I can provide more below.
>> Anything I've omitted, just ask and it shall be yours for the knowing.
>
>How about the error message you get when you try to create a list via the
>web interface. The one that you assumed we would somehow all know without
>you telling us (having never had an error when creating a list or if I
>did, not in recent years, I haven't the slightest clue what sort of error
>message you might have recieved). It seems rather likely that the error
>you received dealt with alias creation which you seem to want to think of
>as a second unrelated problem.

Error already reported in a previous message, but here's the Reader's
Digest version. After going through the process of creating a new list
via the Web interface, the error message "unknown virtual host" is
given, and no mailing list is created.

>I'd strongly suggest you start over and provide all relevant information
>in one post so we don't have to go through several messages to find the
>information you've dribbled out to us in multiple messages.

What's relevant? As previously stated, if I knew all the info to
provide, I would have done so in the first place. I've since provided
everything I know about what's going on when I try to create a list.
The real problem here is, I know just enough about Mailman to be
dangerous, so before I get dangerous and break something even further
than it's already broken, I ask questions. If I provide insufficient
information for you to help solve my problem, it's totally and
completely unintentional. The expression "I don't know what I don't
know" comes to mind.