[Mailman-Users] AOL redacts user addresses even with VERP and full personalization enabled

Lindsay Haisley fmouse-mailman at fmp.com
Mon Jun 18 20:44:35 CEST 2012

On Mon, 2012-06-18 at 13:04 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2012-06-18 12:22 PM, Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-mailman at fmp.com> wrote:
> > Doing this as a custom hack helps.  If this were implemented as a
> > Mailman standard option then word might indeed get back to them about
> > it.  Using Resent-Message-ID as a header name is a clever idea.
>
> I'd also argue that since this is not AOL specific but is a generic way
> for a mail system admin to control his own server, and AOL cannot
> dictate what you add to your own headers on your own messages, why not
> make it part of mailman official, with appropriate warnings about some
> brain-dead (probably unenforcable and possibly even illegal) limitations
> by certain clueless providers?

I agree.  Stephen Turnbull points out that using reversible encryption
with a secret key would be more secure from the point of view of
restricting 3rd party knowledge of the unencrypted/unhashed data.  A
secret key could be kept per-list or per-site.  The ability to securely
track recipient information (or any information) across a list
distribution, or across a non-delivery bounce might be very useful.

It might be very convenient to have what one might call EVERP, where the
recipient address is encrypted into the envelope sender address, as an
alternative choice to Mailman's VERP implementation.

--
Lindsay Haisley       |  "Humor will get you through times of no humor
FMP Computer Services |      better than no humor will get you through