[Mailman-Users] more questions about Yahoo feedback loop and abuse complaints

Mailman Admin mailman-admin at uni-konstanz.de
Wed Jun 13 17:39:28 CEST 2012

Hello David

On 2012-06-13 17:16, David wrote:
> We received 23 Yahoo feedback loop notices this morning from one user.
> Supposedly these are abuse or complaint notices. The person joined us in
> Sept of last year. After we received these notices from Yahoo today, we
> contacted the member. She did not remember reporting us as spam. She didn't
> offer us any useful feedback because she didn't remember any details.
> However, she *does* wish to continue receiving emails from our list. So it
> seems clear this was not an actual case of abuse. Unfortunately, Yahoo will
> not deliver our messages to this address any longer, as far as I know. And
> the person did not want to get a new email address.
>
> As mentioned previously, we try to follow all best practices. Emails from
> our list are DKIM signed, we have valid SPF records, rDNS is set up, our IP
> address is dedicated to this mailing list. The content is purely from
> members of the list, and every single message is moderated by a human so
> almost nothing ever slips by that would be a marketing-type message. (For
> example, if a member sends info about some product they have personally
> benefited from, we review those carefully to be sure the message is
> appropriate and informative, and is coming directly from a well-known and
> trusted member of our list.)
>
> The only info we received from Yahoo about this incident is the original
> message we sent and a line like this:
>
> This is an email abuse report for an email message received from
> example.com on Thu, 07 Jun 2012 03:32:29 PDT
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. Why are we just receiving a feedback on 13 June 2012 for a message we
> sent out on 07 June 2012? With this kind of delay, it apparently leads to
> more abuse reports (23 in this case) because we can't remove that address
> until we are notified. (Again, in this case, the person actually wished to
> continue receiving emails.)

You get it, when the Yahoo user is pressing the "this is SPAM/Junk"-Button.
This can take some time.
I once got one 14 Months after sending the actual message ;-)

> 2. Does an incident like this count 23 times against our Yahoo reputation?

AFAIK this counts as one, because it was on one day and one recipient only.

> 3. Is anyone else seeing notification delays coupled with multiple notices
> like this?

I never got multiple ones on the same message from one user, but from
multiple users and on multiple messages from one user.

Kind regards,
Christian Mack