[Mailman-Users] more questions about Yahoo feedback loop and abuse complaints

David dave at fiteyes.com
Wed Jun 13 17:16:40 CEST 2012

We received 23 Yahoo feedback loop notices this morning from one user.
Supposedly these are abuse or complaint notices. The person joined us in
Sept of last year. After we received these notices from Yahoo today, we
contacted the member. She did not remember reporting us as spam. She didn't
offer us any useful feedback because she didn't remember any details.
However, she *does* wish to continue receiving emails from our list. So it
seems clear this was not an actual case of abuse. Unfortunately, Yahoo will
not deliver our messages to this address any longer, as far as I know. And
the person did not want to get a new email address.

As mentioned previously, we try to follow all best practices. Emails from
our list are DKIM signed, we have valid SPF records, rDNS is set up, our IP
address is dedicated to this mailing list. The content is purely from
members of the list, and every single message is moderated by a human so
almost nothing ever slips by that would be a marketing-type message. (For
example, if a member sends info about some product they have personally
benefited from, we review those carefully to be sure the message is
appropriate and informative, and is coming directly from a well-known and
trusted member of our list.)

The only info we received from Yahoo about this incident is the original
message we sent and a line like this:

This is an email abuse report for an email message received from
example.com on Thu, 07 Jun 2012 03:32:29 PDT

My questions are:

1. Why are we just receiving a feedback on 13 June 2012 for a message we
sent out on 07 June 2012? With this kind of delay, it apparently leads to
more abuse reports (23 in this case) because we can't remove that address
until we are notified. (Again, in this case, the person actually wished to
continue receiving emails.)

2. Does an incident like this count 23 times against our Yahoo reputation?

3. Is anyone else seeing notification delays coupled with multiple notices
like this?

Thanks.