[Mailman-Users] digests not getting sent

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Jan 22 06:31:56 CET 2012

Anil Jangity wrote:

>Using the Solaris python version:
>
>{imsadmin at olida 43}% /gcs/app/mail/listsp/mailman/cron/senddigests --listname=ade
>List: ade: problem processing /gcs/app/mail/listsp/mailman/lists/ade/digest.mbox:
>decoding Unicode is not supported
>{imsadmin at olida 44}%
>
>Digest mbox file:
>
>-rw-rw----   1 imsadmin ims         2634 Jan 21 18:51 testlists/digest.mbox

So here an exception was thrown and the digest.mbox was apparently left
in place as it should be. Have you seen
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/328353>?

>{imsadmin at olida 49}% /gcs/app/mail/listsp/python2.7/bin/python /gcs/app/mail/listsp/mailman/cron/senddigests --listname=testlists
>{imsadmin at olida 50}%
>
>The digest.mbox file is gone, nothing in logs/smtp.
>This is very bad, there is no error and Mailman just deleted the mbox file. How can I debug this?

Mailman 2.1.x has not been vetted for use with Python 2.7. I know of no
specific reason why it shouldn't work, but we are currently
recommending Python 2.6.x. See the doc/FAQs at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/bAM> and <http://wiki.list.org/x/pYA9>.

This is not the same list as the one in your first test. However, if
there were messages in this list's digest.mbox and if there were
digest recipients, the digest.mbox should never be removed without
queuing the digest to be sent in Mailman's 'virgin' queue. Is the
message there? Is VirginRunner running? See the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/A4E9>.

Also see the 'shunt' queue and Mailman's 'error' log.