[Mailman-Users] problem with mailman not working...

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jan 13 01:48:54 CET 2012

Troy Campbell wrote:

>For some reason Mailman just stopped working and I must confess that I
>have forgot how to debug since it
>has run so well for the last couple of years...it appears
>that when a Mailman email is sent to the Mailman server it that it
>doesn't recognize it as "local" but instead tries to
>relay out and then the relay sends it back and this happens multilple
>times if I'm reading the logs right so I assume
>that the "aliases" file for the Mailman lists isn't being "recognized"
>properly by Postfix?

Yes, it sounds like a Postfix issue, but in order to say anything, we'd
need to see "postconf -n" and some relevant Postfix log messages.

>Here is some info (yes, I know it's ancient):
>
>rpm -qa | grep -i mailman
>mailman-2.1.9-4.el5
>
>/etc/postfix/main.cf:
>alias_maps =    hash:/etc/aliases
>                 hash:/etc/mailman/aliases
>
>and in /etc/mailman/aliases it has the list troytest with this:
># STANZA START: troytest
># CREATED: Sun Mar 14 19:20:17 2010
>troytest:             "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post troytest"
>troytest-admin:       "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin troytest"
>troytest-bounces:     "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces troytest"
>troytest-confirm:     "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman confirm troytest"
>troytest-join:        "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman join troytest"
>troytest-leave:       "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman leave troytest"
>troytest-owner:       "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner troytest"
>troytest-request:     "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request troytest"
>troytest-subscribe:   "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe troytest"
>troytest-unsubscribe: "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe troytest"
># STANZA END: troytest
>
>There is also a python process owned by mailman that is varying between
>75-100% of the CPU.

Which one? (ps -fw)

>I realize that Postfix per se is out of the scope of this list but any
>suggestions/tips are sincerely appreciated.
>My current thinking is I need to run a "postmap" command to update the
>aliases config perhaps?

The command is postalias, not postmap, and it's unlikely to help unless
perhaps you previously ran 'postmap /etc/mailman/aliases', but it
couldn't hurt to run 'postalias /etc/mailman/aliases'.