[Mailman-Users] problem with mailman not working...

Troy Campbell troy.campbell at fedex.com
Fri Jan 13 01:15:11 CET 2012

For some reason Mailman just stopped working and I must confess that I
have forgot how to debug since it
has run so well for the last couple of years...it appears
that when a Mailman email is sent to the Mailman server it that it
doesn't recognize it as "local" but instead tries to
relay out and then the relay sends it back and this happens multilple
times if I'm reading the logs right so I assume
that the "aliases" file for the Mailman lists isn't being "recognized"
properly by Postfix?

Here is some info (yes, I know it's ancient):

rpm -qa | grep -i mailman
mailman-2.1.9-4.el5

/etc/postfix/main.cf:
alias_maps =    hash:/etc/aliases
                 hash:/etc/mailman/aliases

and in /etc/mailman/aliases it has the list troytest with this:
# STANZA START: troytest
# CREATED: Sun Mar 14 19:20:17 2010
troytest:             "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post troytest"
troytest-admin:       "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin troytest"
troytest-bounces:     "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces troytest"
troytest-confirm:     "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman confirm troytest"
troytest-join:        "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman join troytest"
troytest-leave:       "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman leave troytest"
troytest-owner:       "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner troytest"
troytest-request:     "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request troytest"
troytest-subscribe:   "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe troytest"
troytest-unsubscribe: "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe troytest"
# STANZA END: troytest

There is also a python process owned by mailman that is varying between
75-100% of the CPU.

I realize that Postfix per se is out of the scope of this list but any
suggestions/tips are sincerely appreciated.
My current thinking is I need to run a "postmap" command to update the
aliases config perhaps?

Regards,

--
Troy