[Mailman-Users] Digest distribution time problem

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Feb 23 08:59:29 CET 2012

On 2/22/2012 11:11 AM, Conor –––––– wrote:

> After having read several different threads in the archives about
> altering the crontab file entry to change when the senddigests script
> is run, effectively distributing each list's daily digest, I am still
> at a loss. I've changed the entry so it appears it would distribute
> the digests at 9AM each day, but, no matter what I do, the digests
> still distribute at the installation default time of noon. For
> example, here is what the entry looks like now:
>
> # 9AM, mail digests for lists that do periodic as well as threshold
> delivery. 0 9 * * * /usr/bin/python -S
> /var/lib/mailman/cron/senddigests
>
> Is there perhaps another issue taking place here that I am not aware
> of?

What file are you changing? If you are changing Mailman's
cron/crontab.in, that will have no effect until you do

crontab cron/crontab.in

either as the mailman user or as root with the -u option.

Note that if your Mailman is installed from a package, it might be using
a 'system' crontab. You should check if the actual mailman crontab is a
user crontab in /var/spool/cron/mailman or a system crontab in some
place like /etc/cron.d/mailman. If it is a user crontab, you can list
it, edit it or install it from a file using the crontab command (see man
crontab). If it is a system crontab, you have to edit it directly and it
will also have an additional field for the user to run as between the
days/times fields and the command.