[Mailman-Users] Using a different domain for the URL4oCP

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Feb 16 07:57:06 CET 2012

Jezz wrote:

>Hmm - yes, you're right - I was misled by the help text on the "msg_footer"
>page in the GUI, which says that host_name is "The fully qualified domain
>name that the list server runs on", rather than the email domain. However I
>believe host_name is actually meant to be the email's domain, as you've
>noted. Obviously by default they are normally one and the same thing though.

Yes, that text is misleading, but help text for the list's host_name
attribute on the General Options page is more clear.

Also, I wouldn't say the two hosts are "normally" the same. In the
simplest case, host_name comes from DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST and the
web_page_url host comes from DEFAULT_URL_HOST and these are often
different even if only in that DEFAULT_URL_HOST is prefixed with www.

>Anyway, what I want basically is for all web URLs to reference example.NET,
>but for the list's email addresses (post/owner/bounce addresses etc) to all
>use example.COM (a completely different domain). So the list's email
>addresses are independent of the web URL.

That's why every list has a web host (the host part of web_page_url)
and an email host (host_name).

>This should ideally also affect any other applicable variables such as
>listinfo_url, optionsurl and so on, as well as any hard-coded (absolute)
>links in the admin GUI.

It does.

>I don't want to use example.COM for the web URL, because I want to use that
>elsewhere for another website and not have it used for the Mailman web
>interface. I know that sounds complicated, but I'm just wondering if this is
>possible (and not difficult) to accomplish.

Yes.