[Mailman-Users] Using a different domain for the URL4oCP

Jezz jeremy at fairbrass.co.nz
Thu Feb 16 01:49:44 CET 2012

"Mark Sapiro" <mark at msapiro.net> wrote in message
news:PC19520120215160538054698e013c8 at MSAPIRO...
> Jezz wrote:
>>
>>Is it possible to have a Mailman list which has a list address
>>@example.COM
>>but which is running on another domain for its URL (eg.
>>http://www.example.NET/mailman/...)?
>>
>>Therefore variables such as 'host_name' and 'web_page_url' would refer to
>>the example.NET domain, and only the list email address itself would be
>>using example.COM.
>

> Actually, the host_name is the email domain and the host in
> web_page_url is the web domain, so what you want is
>
> host_name = 'example.COM'
>
> and
>
> web_page_url = 'http://www.example.NET/mailman/'
>
> for this list.
>
> Or do I misunderstand?
>
> --

Hmm - yes, you're right - I was misled by the help text on the "msg_footer"
page in the GUI, which says that host_name is "The fully qualified domain
name that the list server runs on", rather than the email domain. However I
believe host_name is actually meant to be the email's domain, as you've
noted. Obviously by default they are normally one and the same thing though.

Anyway, what I want basically is for all web URLs to reference example.NET,
but for the list's email addresses (post/owner/bounce addresses etc) to all
use example.COM (a completely different domain). So the list's email
addresses are independent of the web URL.

This should ideally also affect any other applicable variables such as
listinfo_url, optionsurl and so on, as well as any hard-coded (absolute)
links in the admin GUI.

I don't want to use example.COM for the web URL, because I want to use that
elsewhere for another website and not have it used for the Mailman web
interface. I know that sounds complicated, but I'm just wondering if this is
possible (and not difficult) to accomplish.

Cheers,
Jeremy