[Mailman-Users] can I use a mailman list address as a (qmail)sender address?

Larry Stone lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
Tue Feb 7 15:53:47 CET 2012

On Tue, 7 Feb 2012, Stefan P. Wolf (NassRasur.com) wrote:

> Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>> I do not understand why this would be true? How does your MUA know that
>> the list address is or is not a 'mail user' on your system?
>
> My MUA does not know about the server, my MUA knows about its
> own mail profiles. If mails are addressed to the list and come
> in on my PC and I hit "reply" then the MUA looks if it has a
> mail profile with the very same email address.

I think there are a couple of issues that are leaving many of us confused.
Why do you want to reply to email addressed to the list as the list rather
than as you. That is not the way lists are normally used (e.g. I am
replying to mail sent to this list as myself, not as the list).

> But if I can not
> use this email address for *sending* because I can not create
> this user on my server then this profile is useless and I have
> to create a different sending address which is not selected by the
> MUA automatically (instead the default mail profile is selected).

Why does the list email address have to exist as a local user for you to
send as it? Is your mail server doing a check to prevent mail being sent
as from a non-existant user? While such checks (misguided in many cases,
IMHO) can be set in many mail servers, it's not the default from my
experience. If you have such checks, are they really needed? I don't
recall if you described your environment but if it's one where you know
all the users (as opposed to a public ISP), you probably don't need such
checks.

-- Larry Stone
    lstone19 at stonejongleux.com