[Mailman-Users] Weird characters in private archive

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Aug 31 06:08:57 CEST 2012

On 8/30/2012 12:35 AM, Birta Levente wrote:

> I just don't describe very well my problem ... sorry
>
> It's about the built in texts ... not the messages.
>
> When accessing the archive in english looks like:
>
> The Week Of Monday 27 August 2012:    [ Thread ] [ Subject ] [ Author ]
> [ Date ]
>
> So, the word WEEK translated in romanian (or I think any non-english
> language ... I tried in hungarian) show me this � char instead the
> specific language chars.

This particular message string is coded in the archiver in English as

"The Week Of Monday %(day)i %(month)s %(year)i"

The Romanian translation of this string in the distributed message
catalog is

"Săptămâna ce începe Luni, %(day)i %(month)s %(year)i"

Except that the non-ascii characters are encoded as iso-8859-2 as follows

character  hex encoding
   ă          E3
   â          E2
   î          EE

If you look at the raw file index.html in Mailman's
archives/private/LISTNAME/ directory, or you look at the source of the
page served in your browser, this is what you should see. The source of
the page should look identical whether it is served statically via a
'pipermail' URL or dynamically via the private CGI as it is the contents
of the archives/private/LISTNAME/index.html file in either case.

If it is rendered differently in the browser depending on how it is
served, the only reason I can think of for this would be if the web
server is adding its own Content-Type: header with a charset other than
iso-8859-2 in one case and not the other overriding the

<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-2">

element that should be in the page itself.