[Mailman-Users] Weird characters in private archive

Birta Levente blevi.linux at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 09:35:44 CEST 2012

On 30/08/2012 03:51, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Birta Levente wrote:
>>
>> I use mailman 2.1.12 with centos 6.3.
>> I have a list with romanian default language. If the archive is public I
>> have no problems, but if it's private, not shows the specific romanian
>> characters.
>> Someone can help me out with this?
>

> The archive consists of static pages in Mailman's
> archives/private/LISTNAME/yyyy-Mmmmm/ directories. There is one page
> per archived message with a name like nnnnnn.html where nnnnnn is the
> archived message number. The actual message text in these pages for a
> Romanian language list should be encoded in Mailman's character set
> for Romanian which is iso-8859-2.
>
> Are you saying that if you access a page from the same web browser via
> a URL like http://www.example.com/pipermail/mylist/nnnn.html, it looks
> as it should, but if you access the same page via
> http://www.example.com/mailman/private/mylist/nnnn.html (you can do
> this even if the archive is public), it doesn't display the Romanian
> characters.
>
> If that's what you are saying, I don't know why this would be except it
> could have something to do with the web server adding a Content-Type:
> header with an incompatible charset setting (as in Apache's
> AddDefaultCharset setting).
>
> If you are looking at different messages from the same or different
> lists, try accessing the same message both ways as above. If you see a
> difference when you do that, it has something to do with the way the
> private CGI serves the page versus serving it as a static html file,
> and we can investigate further. If you don't see a difference when you
> do that, the issue is probably that different messages archived at
> different times or for different lists had a different character set
> in the archive files.

I just don't describe very well my problem ... sorry

It's about the built in texts ... not the messages.

When accessing the archive in english looks like:

The Week Of Monday 27 August 2012:	[ Thread ] [ Subject ] [ Author ] [
Date ]

So, the word WEEK translated in romanian (or I think any non-english
language ... I tried in hungarian) show me this � char instead the
specific language chars.

Of course, when I change the language of the list I run:
...mailman/bin/arch listname

And yes, accessing in the public way it's ok ... but the private it's not.

		Thanks
		Levi